• The majority of our clients are the working poor and their families.
• Our clients are primarily residents of Onondaga County and come from all areas of the county—suburban, rural, and the city.
• We are the major legal advocate for domestic violence victims in Onondaga County. In this role, we help to prevent violence in the home and help women and children leave abusive situations.
• We prevent eviction and homelessness and avoid the need for costly emergency assistance and shelter.
• We help clients obtain the necessary financial support to keep their homes and families together.
• We help our clients become self-sufficient and reduce the need for public assistance by obtaining reasonable support orders and the payment of child support.
• We help non-custodial parents resolve legal issues so that they can provide support for their children.
• We help cancer patients with insurance, wills, housing, guardianship and other matters affecting their ability to obtain medical care and provide for their families.
• We help immigrants and refugees in a 17-county region obtain and maintain legal status, reunite with their families and begin new lives in this country.
• We work collaboratively with other legal assistance and human service providers to develop innovative ways to provide needed services to the maximum number of people in our community.
• By providing legal representation and access to the courts, we help clients achieve peaceful resolutions to potentially explosive conflicts and promote respect for the law and the legal system.
The Hiscock Legal Aid Society has an "open door" interviewing policy (no appointments necessary) for civil cases. Client interviews are conducted Mondays from 9:30 AM to 11 AM, Wednesdays from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Clients for all other types of cases are seen by appointment. Office hours are from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.